The Effects of Trauma.
- 80% of people who have an identified dependency to drugs and/or alcohol have issues related to trauma (Mills, 2014).
- People with trauma are significantly more likely to acquire other mental health conditions. Approximately 90% of people with severe mental health conditions have experienced at least one type of trauma in their lives (Akers, 2007).
- People with trauma are more prone to be overweight/obese and hence have higher levels of physical health conditions related to diabetes, arthritis and cardiovascular disease (Koenan, 2013).
- Various studies have suggested that as many as 78% of criminal offenders have issues related to trauma (Ardino, 2012).
- People with trauma are at greater risk of poverty and homelessness, studies have suggested that as many as 50% to 60% of people with poverty issues have experienced trauma (Lyons, 2000).